Tuesday, 2 October 2012

A Monster Calls

A Monster Calls
Patrick Ness (Author), Siobhan Dowd (Original Idea), Jim Kay (Illustrator)
First Published: September 2011
Source: Library
Available: Amazon UK // Kindle // Book Depository

The monster showed up after midnight. As they do.

But it isn't the monster Conor's been expecting. He's been expecting the one from his nightmare, the one he's had nearly every night since his mother started her treatments, the one with the darkness and the wind and the screaming...

This monster is something different, though. Something ancient, something wild. And it wants the most dangerous thing of all from Conor.

It wants the truth.

In truth it has taken me a long time to review this book, I think I must of read it about a month or so ago and I am now only grasping my feelings for the book. I really liked it, though I don't know whether that term is acceptable for a book of this nature. It is beautifully wrote and reads like a song, the writing is easy to understand and I believe it to be aimed at a younger audience. 

Characters

We have Conor, the main protagonist in the novel, he is just a typical boy who hasn't had the best of luck and feels like he is invisible to everyone, even his family. I really enjoyed his character there was a depth to him that at first came across as ignorance but developed into something more meaningful. 
I believe that the tree should be a character in it's own right, it was a fantastic idea to have a tree help out a boy that couldn't accept what was happening around him. 
Overall the characters were believable and developed enough that you felt as though you knew them.

Plot

The plot was really interesting and intriguing. As an older reader I could see what was happening to the characters and so forth however I was still drawn into the story and found that although it couldn't actually happen it was believable in the feelings and emotions that were shown throughout the book.

Writing Style

It was an easy writing style to follow and I found that I was enjoying going back to the book to read more and more of it. I think it is important to mention that the original idea for the novel came from Siobhan Dowd and Patrick Ness was asked to write the novel after her death. I think she would be proud, he took the story and yet made it his own.

Overall

I really enjoyed the book and the ideas behind the book, it is one that will leave you an emotional wreck at the end of the book but you will be happy that the story is complete and that Conor does have the chance to move on. It is a rollercoaster with a lot more elements than you would think.

No comments:

Post a Comment