Thursday, 2 August 2012

Torn

Torn 
David Massey
First Published: August 2012

Afghanistan. In the heat and dust, young British army medic Elinor Nielson watches an Afghan girl walk into a hail of bullets. But when she runs to help, Ellie finds her gone. Who is she? And what's happened to her? What Ellie discovers makes her question everything she believes in, even her feelings for the American lieutenant who takes her side.

This books is a must have, I loved every second of this book, the start does start a little slow but after the first chapter you will want to keep reading. The characters are well developed and we still find out a little more about each character as the story continues. I enjoyed finding out about Heidi and what happened that makes her hate being in the same room as Ben.

When you think of a war book you think of a book that will have action throughout, however I was pleasantly surprised that while there was quite a bit action, it was measured in equal measures by humor and developing relationships. The story was well developed with excellent descriptions of what is actually like for young people out in Afghanistan, we learn this through Ellie who is going to Afghanistan for the first time, it shows what her believes are when she first arrives and what they are as the book continues. It is a story of love, lose, friendship, courage and doing the right thing. I found this to be fantastic as you really get an idea of what it must be like. I also loved the addition of the girl in the blue dress as if gave a supernatural feel to the book, it made me at times want to know if it was real or if I was just imagining her.

The writing is so good, it is fluid and paced out. Even though Ben isn't really described I couldn't help but get the image of Wentworth Miller out of my head. Yeah I have no idea why, but if this was ever a movie I'd be disappointed if it wasn't him! :)


To summarize, you  will love this book if you are  a fan of realistic fiction and you will love this book if you are a fan of supernatural. It has just the right balance of both and I think it is a book that can be enjoyed by many.

No comments:

Post a Comment