Thursday, 30 August 2012

The Selection

The Selection
Kiera Cass
First Published: June 2012 (UK)

For thirty-five girls, the Selection is the chance of a lifetime. The opportunity to escape the life laid out for them since birth. To be swept up in a world of glittering gowns and priceless jewels. To live in the palace and compete for the heart of the gorgeous Prince Maxon.

But for America Singer, being Selected is a nightmare. It means turning her back on her secret love with Aspen, who is a caste below her. Leaving her home to enter a fierce competition for a crown she doesn't want. Living in a palace that is constantly threatened by violent rebel attacks.

Then America meets Prince Maxon. Gradually, she starts to question all the plans she's made for herself- and realizes that the life she's always dreamed of may not compare to a future she never imagined.

Okay, so I have to be honest I don't know what I think of this book, I read the book in under a day and couldn't put it down, but I did have some problems with it that I would like to address. This review will contain little spoilers, but not enough that will spoil your enjoyment of the book.

I'll start by saying the plot isn't exactly  fast paced, there isn't that much that happens and while in some books I find it works, I don't feel it was needed in this. Yes there were points where it was pretty much all action but I found that it wasn't first person, it was retold, it was like you were hearing all about these event via a person you don't really know all that well. Yet in all this slow paces I still enjoyed reading, I felt as though I needed to know what was going to happen to America and see what was held in store for Maxon.

Is this book meant to be dystopian? I found no elements of dystopian society in this book, it felt and read more to me as a fantasy novel, or a novel that was set far in the past. We learn nothing concrete about the beginning's of this country and I feel that the people in charge aren't really out to hurt the citizens, if anything they want to help. I do feel the book has been mislabeled and feel that it should be classed as a fantasy work as I believe that it would be more appreciated if it was.

Character wise there was no one I really enjoyed reading about apart from Maxon, I found that even though America preached about how the lower castes cared for their family, yet I found that America was one of the most selfish characters there was. I was not a fan, I also felt that everything was placed to her so that she would become the one that Maxon wanted. Plus you have to counter the romance with Aspen, which in all credit was believable until Aspen ended up at the castle as a guard, it almost felt as though the author was pushing these characters together.

Overall I liked the book, would I recommend reading it? I am not to sure I will be reading the next in the series but only to find out what happens. I liked the story, but feel that as a trilogy it could of been condensed into one book. It could of quite easily been a stand alone as not a lot happened and that could of been explained within a 150 pages or so. I feel like the author has dragged it out so that it will become a series. In all honesty I'm just waiting to see who the Prince chooses and I probably won't read after that.

No comments:

Post a Comment