Wednesday, 8 August 2012

Audio Read: The False Prince

The False Prince
Jennifer A. Nielsen
First Published: April 2012 (AUDIO)

In a discontented kingdom, civil war is brewing. To unify the divided people, Conner, a nobleman of the court, devises a cunning plan. He will find an impersonator of the king’s long-lost son and install him as a puppet prince. Four orphans are recruited to compete for the role, including a defiant boy named Sage. Sage knows that Conner’s motives are more than questionable, yet his life balances on a sword’s point. He must be chosen to play the prince, or he will certainly be killed. But as Sage moves from a rundown orphanage to the king’s sumptuous palace, layer upon layer of treachery and deceit unfold. Until, finally, a truth is revealed that may prove more dangerous than all of the lies taken together…

So, this is the first book I ever listened to and I must say I really enjoyed the experience. I didn't think I would, I thought I wouldn't be able to keep up and get side tracked as I listened but I was truly sucked in to the story and the world. I listened to this on the way to and from work and I finished it within a week.

The story is pretty basic, you have a set of characters that are tasked with becoming the Prince everyone thought was dead, this won't be easy as all are orphans that haven't had any experience in the royal household before. Conner's believes that the answer to the imploding civil war is to pretend that one of these orphans is the Prince, coming back to reclaim his crown. Enter Sage, the main character and the character that will follow you throughout this book.

The characters were quite simple in actual fact, there was nothing that stood out between any of them except maybe Sage and Conners. Conner's is power hungry and Sage will do whatever he can to make sure he is the winner in the twisted game, however there is a lot unsaid and I think that this brings a downer on the book. I wanted to find out real motivations as they were happening not as we are looking back on them, in a way I do feel cheated.

The story takes a major turn towards the end and I think this is an added bonus, I liked the way in which the story changed, it was a real game breaker and one that I personally loved, after this said event happened I found myself wanting to take a longer way home just so I could listen to more of the book.

All in all this is a great middle grade read, that mixes adventure with action and a tad bit mystery just to top it off. If you are a fan of other adventure books such as the Harry Potter series I can see lots of parallels that you would enjoy. I would recommend this to any age group and hope that everyone who reads it will love it.

No comments:

Post a Comment