Tuesday, 24 July 2012

Code Name Verity

Code Name Verity
Elizabeth Wein
First Published: February 2012

Two young women become unlikely best friends during WWII, until one is captured by the Gestapo. Only in wartime could a stalwart lass from Manchester rub shoulders with a Scottish aristocrat, one a pilot, the other a special operations executive. Yet whenever their paths cross, they complement each other perfectly and before long become devoted to each other.


I've been wanting to write this review for a long time, I just haven't been able to find the words to describe how much I love this book. It is one of those books you can't say so much about as anything you do say could and will include spoilers. I hope that I am able to review this book with out giving away any vital spoilers.


While the start of the novel was slow, it was engaging and made me want to read on. I've never had a book grip me so much as this one, I loved the story, characters and even the setting with all my heart and it will not be a story I forget in a hurry. It would make the perfect movie and I hope one day it get to be shown in all it's glory on a big screen, it needs to be read and to be seen!

The book is wrote so that there are two stories to be told, we have Maddie's and Verity's. Each character was presented in such a way that it made reading the book a pleasure and an emotional rollercoaster at the same time, I often laughed then wanted to cry. Verity has been caught by the Gestapo and they want to know what she knows, we find that she knows a lot and a little. She gives the Nazi's what they want, but at the same time she gives us the reader a story of true friendship, of a story within a story, often told as though she were Maddie.

The characters in this book are not what they seem, while we have Maddie and Verity we also have a strong cast of supporting characters that have their time to shine and they were all needed! Not one character didn't have their own story to tell, while Verity saw them as something different to what Maddie saw these people and I think this benefits the story. I for one loved the characters from the 'House of Butchers'!

The plot totally changes when we get to Maddie's story and I really liked this sudden change. We were able to find out a little more about what was going on in the outside world, we got to see the struggles of Maddie who was stuck in France and couldn't speak a word of the language. Also without spoiling the book, Maddie's story changes <i>everything</i>! I won't say anymore than that.

I cannot recommend this book enough, it is a roller coaster of a ride that has high points (the friendship between two girls thrown together) to the low points (being caught and living with the consequences). It is a book that will stay with me for a long time and I think it will be one I pick up each year to see if there is anything I missed the first time I read it.

No comments:

Post a Comment