Sunday, 8 July 2012

Born at Midnight

Born at Midnight (Shadow Falls Book One)
C. C. Hunter
First Published: March 2011

Sixteen year-old Kylie Galen thinks her misbehavior in the wake of her grandmother's death and the parents' separation are the reasons she had been sent to Shadow Falls Camp, but learns it is a training ground for vampires, werewolves and other 'freaky freaks' of which she may by one.

When I picked this book I really didn't know what to think, I didn't really know what it was about. I went into it totally bling only knowing the title. I think this helped in this case. I don't think I would of picked it up if I had read what it was about as paranormal books rarely keep me entertained. There is just something about them that I don't really like.

While I enjoyed the story and characters there were some point I didn't really like and they all centered around Kylie, I don't know but for a main character she was so annoying. I didn't like the way she looked down on people, fair enough finding out that you are going to be living with supernatural people must be scary but she had to realise she was one as well and there was no denying it, right to the end she didn't want to be a supernatural. She was so whiney as well, as soon as anyone said anything to her she wouldn't be happy. While I wasn't keen on Kylie the other characters more than made up for it, I loved Lucas, Derek and Perry in equal measures. They were amazing characters and all complex in their own little ways. I did like the two cabin mates of Kylie's as well, though while at times I didn't think they were needed, specially after the way Kylie treat them.

I loved the mystery element to the story and liked how it developed, I will say that at points I thought I knew what was going on, but like anything I was actually proved wrong.  The novel does start out slow and you do have to get through the first 70-90 pages before it becomes fast paced and a more likeable story, also the writing style is quite unique, maybe it's just me but I got the impressions that the novel was wrote in both third person and first person. So yeah the narrative is quite confusing but once you get past that it is a great story with twists and turns.

Overall I would say that if you don't read this book you aren't really missing out, the formula of the plot is similar to others out there, but it is a decent read and one that I am glad I actually sat down and read.

1 comment:

  1. Great Review! Sounds like a good book.

    I just wanted to tell you that I tagged you for the Liebster award. You can check out our blog for more information.

    Angela from Reads to Reels

    ReplyDelete