Wednesday, 4 July 2012

Adult Reads: Fifty Shades of Grey

Fifty Shades of Grey
E L James
First Published: May 2011

When literature student Anastasia Steele interviews successful entrepreneur Christian Grey, she finds him very attractive and deeply intimidating. Convinced that their meeting went badly, she tries to put him out of her mind - until he turns up at the store where she works part-time, and invites her out. Unworldly and innocent, Ana is shocked to find she wants this man. And, when he warns her to keep her distance, it only makes her want him more. But Grey is tormented by inner demons, and consumed by the need to control. As they embark on a passionate love affair, Ana discovers more about her own desires, as well as the dark secrets Grey keeps hidden away from public view...


So I guess pretty much everyone in the world has read this book, I mean it has sold a million copies faster than any other book. It was a hype magnet that kept getting more and more magnified each time you heard someone talking about it. I'll admit that I read it because of the hype and no other reason, how can one book make you either love it and hate it at the same time? I'm going to try and figure this out in this review.

So as most people who know a little about the book think it is just a book surrounded in sex, yes it is, while at the same time there is a story and a pretty good story at that. To me the plot isn't the problem with this book it is the characters, I found the character of Ana to be so naive, so immature, so annoying and yet I still followed her on her quest to find what she was looking for. Believe me that is hard when you have a character that changes her mind every other second. The plot leads you to believe that this book is about Ana growing up and moving on with her life, I just found that she never does grow she never becomes the person she wants to become because her emotions are all over the place and she has the tendency to change her mind to suit, she has no personality either, she's rather boring.

While Ana has a few fault Christian doesn't really have any, or atleast not in the eyes of Ana. I don't know but the way he controls her is a little to much, he wants to know everything about her including what she eats, which I found a little to much. I don't know he wasn't perfect but towards the end I felt as if I know him more than Ana.

The writing was fast paced and made you not want to put the book down, I read this in under two days and for a 500 plus book I think that it good going. My slight resevation about the book is that I feel a lot was repeated throughout the book and it had a familar feel to it that I wasn't keen on.

Overall I enjoyed this book and would recommend it, saying that I don't think I will be picking up the other books in the series as I feel it will be more of the same.

1 comment:

  1. I really have to agree with all the things you said but there's a big BUT here. As much as I love the first book I really enjoyed the whole series. I'm not fond of all the sex and all but the thin line is that I enjoyed it. I love the countless banter of Ana and Christian. I suggest that you read the whole series, you'd definitely expect more of the same thing but there is more to the story.

    ~Jay
    We Fancy Books

    ReplyDelete