Monday, 7 May 2012

Glass Houses



College freshman Claire Danvers has had enough of her nightmarish dorm situation. When Claire heads off-campus, the imposing old house where she finds a room may not be much better. Her new roommates don't show many signs of life, but they'll have Claire's back when the town's deepest secrets come crawling out, hungry for fresh blood.
























Glass Houses was a fun read that I wish I had read earlier. I'm not a massive fan of vampire books, they're just something that I can't really get into. This book however was a gem, in more ways than one, I loved the characters and the plot, it's an interesting new take on the vampire story, here we have a town that is run by vampires, they are part of every day life and yet they are still divided into groups.

The story was pretty basic, there isn't much that happens, we get to learn a little bit about Claire and why she is a college at such a young age and how it isn't going to plan. We learn about Monica and how evil she is to Claire and others in the dorm, and we learn what finally drives Claire to move into the Glass House. What I found to be marvelous about the plot was that Claire was totally clueless to the vampire population, she didn't know it was dangerous to go out after dark, that people need protection I liked finding out more about the history of the town and the vampires that lived in it throughout the book. I specially liked the way there is structure to the standings of the vampires.

The characters were great and added more depth to the story, we have Claire that really grew into her own person as the book continued, we have Monica that just gives you more and more reasons to hate as the story continues. Then we have Eva, Sean and Michael who are all interesting in there own little ways. I grew to love Michael, there is something about him that even still at the end of the book I really found mysterious and  fascinating at the same time.


The plot is very character driven, I actually found when reading the book that there isn't that much story, yet when action does happen it's full on. I think that the book benefits from this and it is a great way to make you want to read on, I believe this is also due to the writing style, which I loved! 


This is a fantastic book and I am happy that I have the others on my shelf waiting to be read, I know that I will enjoy this series as a whole and cannot recommend this book enough. The writing is amazing, the story could of been a bit fuller but otherwise perfect and the characters were great. I cannot wait to read the next one and see where the characters go from here.

No comments:

Post a Comment