Sunday, 8 April 2012

The Maze Runner

When the doors of the lift crank open, the only thing Thomas can remember is his first name. But he's not alone. He's surrounded by boys who welcome him to the Glade, an encampment at the centre of a bizarre and terrible maze.

Like Thomas, the Gladers don't know why or how they came to be there, or what's happened to the world outside. All they know is that every morning when the walls slide back, they risk everything to find out - even the Grievers, half machine, half animal horrors that hunt the maze's walled corridors.







This book seems to have a lot of hype surrounding it, and I for one don't think hype is generally needed for some titles. However in the case of The Maze Runner I believe the book lived up to the hype and much more.

At the beginning of the novel I was bored, there was hardly any action, I didn't know anything that was going on and there was a whole new language to master. Yet now thinking back I think that the book needed this, you get to learn as the main character Thomas does. Thomas is a complex character and one that I think is hungry for action, he knows he is special and knows that deep down he knows a lot more about the Maze however with him losing his memory he can't remember the bits he needs to.

There is a point in the book where everything changes, I won't go into details as I don't want to spoil the plot however after an event the book moves up a pace, I think I totally enjoyed the book more after this point. It helped that I was getting used to the slang and terms that the boys were using. It becomes so intense that you don't want to put the book down. I totally feel that if this event didn't happen when it did I would of most likely put the book down.

I was drawn to certain characters more than others, I really enjoyed both Chuck and Minho. They were great characters that were developed throughout the book. However Thomas has a lot of personality traits I don't really like, he is far to egotistical and wants to jump into all sorts of action without thinking of the consequences, though in the end I was won over by him. I liked the little bit of mystery Teresa brought to the plot aswell.

The world building was really good, I liked the way that there were creatures out there at night that people were afraid of more than anything, I liked that everyone worked as a team, that every person had a job and his job was essential in a way. You get to learn alot about how the boys made a quite successful society when they could of crumbled and fell.

Overall I would totally recommend this book, it does however leave you on a cliffhanger that will literally have you screaming for the next book.

No comments:

Post a Comment