Monday, 30 April 2012

Here Lies Bridget

Bridget Duke is the uncontested ruler of her school. The meanest girl with the biggest secret insecurities. And when new girl Anna Judge arrives, things start to fall apart for Bridget: friends don't worship as attentively, teachers don't fall for her wide-eyed "who me?" look, expulsion looms ahead and the one boy she's always loved - Liam Ward - can barely even look at her anymore.
When a desperate Bridget drives too fast and crashes her car, she ends up in limbo, facing everyone she's wronged and walking a few uncomfortable miles in their shoes. Now she has only one chance to make a last impression.






Wow, this book has left me with so many emotions I don't know where to start. I suppose I should point out that this book is a quick read and reminds me of 'A Christmas Carol', I suppose in a way this book is a re telling of that tale just updated to someone we can all relate to. I for one know a few people in my life that are similar to Bridget.

I mean are we even, ever meant to like Bridget? After all she crashes her car just to find out who would turn up at her funeral and who would care the most about her. To get to this point we get to know a little about the kind of person Bridget is, we get to look at the days leading up to the crash, her time in limbo where she looks at everything she has done and the consequences that are developed from her role in them and then we get to see the after. The part where she is given the chance to go back to the real world and change her ways and make everything better.

I suppose we are meant to dislike Bridget and learn to like her better as the book progresses, however I just found her to be an annoying person, someone I would go as far to say I hated. I just couldn't find any things I liked about her personality or anything, she had everything and she basically shoved anything that was good away, she built this persona that made her so unlikable you felt sorry for her. It's save to say I've never disliked a character more than her, yet I was drawn to her I wanted her to succeed I wanted her to make everything right.

See, this review is such a ramble and all over the place, I guess that is down to all the mixed emotions I am feeling at the moment, I've never had a book where I've hated the main character so much yet wanted to know the whole story. I guess I'm a sucker for these kinds of stories. I would recommend it, however be warned you will feel so many different emotions throughout the book, I at one point wanted to through the book across the room, the only thing that stopped me was the fact I was reading it on my Kindle.

No comments:

Post a Comment