Wednesday, 4 January 2012

The Name of the Star - Maureen Johnson

The Name of the Star
The day Louisiana teenager Rory Deveaux arrives in London marks a memorable occasion. For Rory, it's the start of a new life at a London boarding school. But for many, this will be remembered as the day a series of brutal murders broke out across the city, gruesome crimes mimicking the horrific Jack the Ripper events of more than a century ago.

Soon “Rippermania” takes hold of modern-day London, and the police are left with few leads and no witnesses. Except one. Rory spotted the man police believe to be the prime suspect. But she is the only one who saw him. Even her roommate, who was walking with her at the time, didn't notice the mysterious man. So why can only Rory see him? And more urgently, why has Rory become his next target? In this edge-of-your-seat thriller, full of suspense, humor, and romance, Rory will learn the truth about the secret ghost police of London and discover her own shocking abilities


  • The Name of the Star is the first book in 'The Shades of London' series by Maureen Johnson, focusing on Jack the Ripper. Could he of returned? 
  • The story centres on the main character Rory, who has left America to start school in London. One her day of arrival she is greeted by the news that A. a copy-cat Jack the Ripper has appeared and B. she totally doesn't have the right shoes for British weather. Rory as it happens is the only character that is able to see the Ripper, Jazza was right beside her and saw nothing. 
  • There are many characters in the book which  loved. Jerome for one, wants to be a journalist so to him the Ripper murders taking place just outside the school are fantastic. I really enjoyed this character, he really did care about Rory. Jazza on the other hand is a character I could quite easily live without. There was just something about her that annoyed me when she was talking to Rory, I hated the way Jerome only had to say one word and she would be out there doing what she shouldn't, even though she kind of preached about breaking the rules. 
  • For me there were two parts to the story, the first is before Boo and thesecond is after Boo. I really loved Boo as a character, she made Rory come out of her shell more and I honestly loved her for that. She also make Rory feel not alone, as she was before Boo came along, I think it reassured her that what she was seeing was real. 
  • The plot moves along at a nice pace, though the main action doesn't start til late on. The main feel of the book is spooky, but not over the top. We get to see that for the most part life continues as normal even if there is a murderer around. There are also some funny moments, mostly when Rory doesn't know what to wear to go to the pub so she is searching all over the internet to find out. 
Overall, I couldn't put this book down. I enjoyed it so much that I can't wait for the sequel, I can't wait to find out more about the Shades and find out more about the blossoming relationship between Jerome and Rory. I would totally recommend the book to others. 

1 comment:

  1. This is on my tbr but this is the first time I am seeing that particular cover. I don't think I even realized it was a series! Thanks for the review.

    ReplyDelete